Rohtak was established on 1976, through an act of Haryana Legislative Assembly with the objective to promote inter-disciplinary higher education and research with special emphasis on studies of environmental, ecological and life sciences. Recognized under section 2(f) of the UGC Act on 16/03/1979. The faculties comprise 38 University Teaching Departments/Centres/Institutes and 159 running programmes. With 622 Acre eco-friendly main campus and 375000 square meters built-up area. The university also has 5.345 Acre satellite campus.
University is having state of the art academic and research facilities, financial support system to promote advanced research. There are 281 Affiliated Colleges with 370 well-qualified experienced faculty with good academic credentials. A congenial academic and administrative environment, transparent, dynamic, responsive, and responsible administrative set-up, strategic academic and research linkages at national and international level. MDU is a Wi-Fi Campus with 24×7 CCTV surveillance having state-of-the-art library services.
In the past 5 years:
- 73 research projects worth Rs. 25.22 crores were funded by government and non-government agencies.
- Twelve University Teaching Departments have received financial grant under the UGC-SAP, CAS, DST-FIST, DBT, ICSSR etc.
- The University faculty has published 2651 research papers in the UGC notified quality journals.
- The university has SCOPUS h-index of 30.
- 629 books/books chapters/ proceedings are published since last 5 yesrs 897 Ph.D. degrees have been awarded and 457 JRFs, SRFs, Post Doctoral Fellows, Research Associates and Project Fellows have been enrolled in the university in this period